Sunday 19 August 2007

Terry's Toga History Lesson Part 1

My best friend Terry is my toga party staple! Why - because he is just one of those people that everyone loves! He talks non-stop, he laughs non-stop. Everyone has their own Terry, right?

At my last toga party - he was there as usual, dressed to thrill! He had captured quite an audience, being the extrovert he is. When I went over to see what was going on, he was spouting all this stuff about toga history that he had been reading up on, and everyone seemed really interested (maybe they were just being polite!), so I though I would pass it on here. Some of you will be curious, and some won't. But whatever, you can always use it to impress your friends at your next toga party - just like Terry did!

Here goes:

Did you know that in roman times a toga wearer was known as a togatus.

Did you also know that the original toga was a thick woollen cloak and used more as an overcoat. It was worn with loin cloth and tunic underneath and when indoors subsequently removed.

If you have ever worn a toga before you will know how cumbersome they can be. When made the correct way they require large amounts of material, which can be, not so much heavy, but more awkward to wear. Not surprisingly they fell out of fashion quite quickly and buttoned cloaks were introduced. They still remained as court dress during the days of the Empire probably because they have a regal look to them.

Just a word of caution here, if you are thinking about how to make a toga for a forthcoming toga party, I would strongly advise that you forget attempting authenticity and lay off the wool, I have tried it to my cost – hot, sticky – eww!

No comments: