Monday 20 August 2007

A Toga Party College Cookbook

I think I am a good cook.

My partner thinks I am a good cook - at least that's what he says to my face!

Yet during my college years I lived on chocolate, beer and peas on toast (canned peas were slightly cheaper than canned beans!).

It was not until I left college and lived by myself, when someone bought me my first recipe book, did I start to cook properly for myself and I found, at least after the first couple of disasters, that I really enjoyed doing it. I even started to make things that were, at least by now, edible. I have to confess it took some months before I could get a sponge cake to rise, but what the hell, I just used to break my disasters up, smear with jam and eat them as biscuits. I am nothing if not resouceful (thats why I can turn an old piece of fabric into a cool toga!).

So I have done some research and found a great new recipe book for anyone at college or about to go to college, or even just living on their own for the first time. This, I can guarantee, will avoid 3 years on peas on toast, burnt offerings at every meal time or high cholesterol inducing take-aways.

The book is written by two sisters, Megan and Jill Carle, currently students Arizona State University, who both started college life with no money, no cooking experience and not much in the way of kitchen utensils.

Yet despite this, they managed to create a fantastic cookbook
College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends
based on recipes they have adapted to their new way of life.

And get this, it is being quoted as this years must-pack for both existing and new students.

Both sisters have now since traveled internationally, worked in restaurants and acquired tastes for foreign dishes, and between them, have also managed to co-write Teens Cook and Teens Cook Dessert, with Teens Cook selling more than 65,000 copies.

The sisters give out sage advice that suggests students should forgo Ramen noodles and macaroni-and-cheese in favor of vegetables, fish and meat. They also discourage eating out. "In the time that you get into a car and drive to a restaurant, you can make a pretty decent meal," Megan said. "Cooking is cheaper than eating at McDonald's."

But why a think the book is a great find is that the recipes cater for those who have never picked up a saucepan before to those with quite advanced cooking skills.

But what has this got to do with how to make a toga or toga's in general, after all this website is dedicated to the making of the toga I hear you say.

Well without doubt truly the best bit? There are sections on throwing toga, tapas, Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest and '80s parties that all comes with easy-to-make dishes. RESULT!

So get your copy Now!


College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends

No comments: